Wednesday 25 November 2009

Life in the UK: A Journey of Multiple Choice

Long, long ago, I thought it would be interesting and fun to study for my Life in the UK Test.

Needless to say, lots of things seem like they could be enjoyable before you actually do them, and this is of no exception. A bit of procrastination teamed with my selecting a test date rather late in the game probably weren't among my best decisions.

Some sections were more interesting to learn than others. Among the things I have learned in preparation for my "journey to citizenship", or at least indefinite leave to remain include:
  • There are 646 Parliamentary Constitutencies.
  • An employer may descriminate potential employees if the job functions are to be carried out in the employer's home.
  • 2.7% of the population is Muslim
  • One may drink at age 16 at a pub or hotel, provided it is done so with a meal.
  • One may obtain free tickets to see the House of Commons by contacting one's MP.
  • A helmet must be worn while driving a motorcycle, unless the driver is male, Sikh, and wearing a turban.
  • Scots Ulster is spoken in Northern Ireland.
  • Provisional Drivers must put a sign with an L on their car, unless the driver is in Wales, where a D is used.
  • There are four bank holidays.
  • The NHS was founded in 1948.
  • Pregnant women receive free prescriptions.
  • If one is blind, one gets 50% off the TV licensing fee.
I went armed with said information to my test center in Wimbledon, ready to face my 24 questions in 45 minutes. I arrived at 9:00 leaving plenty of time to spare, only to find that the Wimbledon Library is closed until 9:30.

After a bit of loitering, we were allowed in and advised to queue outside of the examination room in the back of the library. (pictured)

I was thrilled! This provided me a prime opportunity to gleefully inform people that I had been hoping that queuing would be on the test.

Sadly, No one thought this was quite as hilarious as I did.

After that, the ID checking began. There was 45 minutes of ID checking and registration. Then, after a brief practice test, we were allowed to start.

4 minutes later with answers triple checked, I left the test room to wait for my results.

As you can see, I passed.

In addition to the satisfaction of a job well done, I also got a Percy Pig cake!
(Thanks, Darren!)

No comments:

Post a Comment