Saturday 28 November 2009

Worcester, UK

Last weekend, as a part of my ongoing effort to see new parts of my new home, we (Vera, Roland, Darren, & I) headed to Worcester.

We didn't choose it for any reason other than it was there, and we hadn't been.

It's a relatively short trip by train from Paddington of just 2.5 hours. We immediately checked in to our hotel and headed out into the rain in pursuit of lunch.

After lunch, we headed over to Worcester Cathedral, and took lots of inside pictures. The Cathedral's construction started in 1084, and its crypt dates from the 10th century.















As we were clearly on a roll, absorbing heaps of local culture, we then went to the Worcester Porcelain Museum.

Sadly we were denied, as the museum was closing at four, and we were advised that we would need more than half an hour to soak in the experience. I managed to console myself with a photo op with this guy (Henry Sandon) from Antiques Roadshow.


Spirits dampened, we wandered around in the rain some more, until I decided that rainboots were in order because my shoes were failing me. Unfortunately, trying to find a pair of Wellies on a rainy day that weren't pink and actually came in my size was a bit of a challenge. In the end, I emerged with not only dry feet but a pair of unoffensive navy blue rainboots, reminiscent of those I owned at age 5.

I did what one does with new rainboots. I took them to the pub, and I consumed a beer in them.

We headed back down the street to Saffron's, and enjoyed an excellent dinner there. The Sticky Toffee Pudding was enjoyed by all, and after dinner, we all lamely admitted defeat and had an early night.


Sunday morning brought a bit of respite from the rain, and we had a bit of a wander around both a farmer's market and a shopping mall which was full of shops that hadn't opened yet.

At the Farmer's Market we discovered an excellent source of Scotch Eggs.

After meeting up with Vera & Roland and wandering until the deluge resumed, we had a quick lunch and headed over to The Commandery, which is a 12th century building that has been converted into a museum.

Over the course of it's lengthy history, it has served numerous functions, including a hospital, a school for the blind, and as Civil War headquarters. It was definitely worth a visit, thanks to the audio guide, which allowed a user to tour the building and hear about the role of different rooms and areas of the building at one's selected time period. (Picture taken from the balcony in the Commandery's main hall.)

We wrapped up and headed to the train, right in time to head back to London at half three.

No comments:

Post a Comment