Sunday 28 June 2009

The Prince of Wales, Putney

This week's stop on the quest was what is probably the pub I visit the most out in my neck of the woods, The Prince of Wales.

I went into today's lunch well aware that the food is exellent. I like the atmosphere, and it is among my favorites. Yet, I've somehow managed to not have Sunday roast there in the last 18 months.

As pubs go, the Prince of Wales has a lot going for it.
  • It's cute!
  • It has a huge collection of beer mugs
  • It has a big rotisserie machine
  • It has a real Christmas tree at Christmastime
  • It has nice picnic tables that are shaded in the summer and warmed in the winter
  • It serves triple cooked chips
When I think about it, my only complaints to date have been:
  • No Soda water on tap. There are cute, little bottles, but they just seem wasteful to me.
  • Board games are all missing too many pieces. This makes the Guess Who board unable to realize its potential.
  • It lacks a Dyson Airblade. I love those!
Regardless, the time had come to put the Prince of Wales to the test.

Joining is on the quest today was our friend from the neighborhood, Dom, and as usual, my husband Darren and I. We arrived early-ish to ensure a spot at one of the picnic tables so we could enjoy the sunshine.

You can check out their old Sunday menu here. I like that they've snuck in a picture of the rotisserie machine with it. The Sunday menu for today differed a bit, and I didn't bother to snap a picture of it. My descriptions aren't as snazzy as the menu's but they're enough.

Dishes Ordered (left to right):
  • The Roast: Roast beef, roast potatoes, parsnips, yorkshire pudding, gravy (Dom, Franc)
  • Pork Shoulder: Roast saddleback pork shoulder with poached applies, sea kale, and roast poaties (Darren)
  • Dark Chocolate Mousse with Rasberry mousse, Rasberries, and Chambord (Franc)





Observations: (collective and individual)
  • Small portions (Darren)
  • Picnic tables were bordering on unaceptably wobbly, and we tested out two tables. We saw one guest's drinks meet their end as a result.
  • The outside umbrella wasn't opened up. Perhaps we should have asked, but it would have been nice had it been opened.
  • The roast was great. One of my favorites to date. The dessert was a light, chocolate dessert, ideal for a hot day. (Franc)
  • Bathrooms are fine, but really, they should be a little nicer at this price point.

On to the scores: (awarded on these guidelines)







Our Updated Map of Eats:

*note: Pubs are noted with their scores in parentheses

View The Quest for the Best Sunday Roast in a larger map

3 comments:

  1. If you ever come to Texas I'll cook you a roast that will make you want to slap yo' Momma.
    Are you doing these reviews for fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not post your review on the local directory
    http://services.putneysw15.com as reviews are always welcome and on anyother pus restaurants etc in Putney that you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabrina -
    I *will* take you up on that!
    I started writing about Sunday lunch because it's a tradition I really like here in England. Then it ocurred to me that we might as well review the places we go because it's a nice way to keep track of which places we especially liked. I think it has taken us a few to really get organized about it, though!

    Ed -
    I'm flattered by the suggestion, thanks!

    ReplyDelete